Greetings!

Meet Mama Tokus - an entertaining and edifying, funky and funny singer, hostess and poetess who writes and sings nu soul, blues and R&B tunes (old, proper Ray Charles-style R&B, that is), nu-music-hall ditties and humorous (but always groovy) tunes – memorable originals and interpretations.

What the people say:

“Like Dr John in a three-way with Shirley Bassey and Eartha Kitt”



Share me

Busy? Bling it on

Mama’s getting busy with the gigs, alright.

I’ve got a show this Friday October 29 at the B-Bar where the new-look Sons of Bitches make an appearance.
That means two girl backing singers, and (in the words of Tina Turner) we sound sweet as honey.

The idea is that Mama Tokus hosts a night of soul and gospel sounds on the final Friday of each month, showcasing my original stuff as well as good interpretations, and giving me regular dates to work towards. That means I’ve got gigs in the same cute venue on Friday November 26 and New Year’s Eve too (where I’ll be trying to hang on the coat-tails of bluesman Vince Lee and singer Becca Langsford).

Both me and Vince (pictured left) have landed gigs for the Music South West 2010 Live Fringe in November. We’ll be entertaining music industry bods who will be attending conferences in the day, and hearing “the best new music from the South West” by night. Better be on good form.

I hope it will lead me nearer to my goal of performing at SXSW 2011 too, so cross everything for me.

Away from music, I’ve been rehearsing an alternative Christmas show with my TukTuk Cabaret mates. It’s called Yule Be Sorry and it’s on at the B-bar on the following Sundays: 28 Nov, 5, 12 and 19 December. Buy your tickets here.

I’ve also been learning how to be a performance poet, courtesy of a course put on by Apples & Snakes. And I’ll be hosting the next Forked too, taking place at (you’ve guessed it) the B-Bar on Thursday 18 November. Get your tickets here.

Finally, I received a late but great birthday present from my bestest, oldest pal photographer Vicki Couchman (who collaborated with designer Ben Perry). Together they came up with some ego-jewellery for Yours Truly in the shape of my logo.

I’m a bling Mama ting now!


 
Mama Tokus

Mama Tokus

Mama Tokus

Mama Tokus

Mama Tokus

Mama Tokus

Crooning Mama

Mama Tokus